Tuesday 6 July 2010

On 2020



Lauren from Trash Rock Tour thinks I'm going places. Her faith in me has warmed my stone cold heart and, in return, I'm to write a post on where I think I'll be in ten years' time. This is a tough one. Not least because [yes, here I go again] I'm not convinced I'll make it past 2012 thanks to the bloody Mayan calendar. However, for the sake of this post I'll put my fears aside and imagine where I'll be in ten years.

~~~Start Dream Sequence~~~


I'll be 35. Given my complete lack of drive and intense fear of the unknown, I'll probably be in the same job I'm in now. Except I'll know EVERYTHING there is to know about the production and international sale of children's board books, and so perhaps be headhunted. Should that happen, I'd like a bit more money please. And a private office with a view of the Thames. And a gold-plated business card carrier so I can wow people while networking. So that's the plan, and with all the pounds and pennies from the new job struggling to find room in my cramped bank account, I'll splash out on a vintage car, bespoke designer suits, a Victorian townhouse and a husky. My life will be all kinds of wonderful.


~~~End Dream Sequence~~~

Alas; I find it difficult to be optimistic. I should also stress that I'm not completely vain and materialistic. The above is more a wishlist than an expectation. Part of me thinks it's dangerous to expect too much, because so much that can happen to alter events is out of my control. However, neither do I think that it's unwise to think about your ideal life, no matter how far out of reach it might seem. Otherwise, I'd have nothing to strive for and would plummet, head first, into despair. Suffice it to say that I'll be happy if I'm still around and still surrounded by the people closest to me. That way, even if 2020 finds me living in a hovel, at least I'll be able to take some comfort in the fact that the most important thing is taken care of, and that there will be someone around to bring me painkillers and hangover cures after messy nights out. No, I have no plans to grow old gracefully.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the award!!!

    I like your dream. But what you said is also true that when you are surrounded by people close to you, you will be able to take some comfort in the most important things. And yes, including bringing you hangover cures. That would be the most awesome thing ever.

    In 10 years, I'll be 38. OMFG, I'm old!!!

    ReplyDelete