Sunday 20 December 2009

On Peaks & Troughs


The view from my seat at Fulham FC's Craven Cottage as Man Utd begin the long journey back up north with their tails between their legs - 3-0 to FFC! Who saw that coming? I certainly didn't. Don't worry, I'm not going to rant about Fulham's mesmering football skills or how Roy Hodgson's black & white army eased to victory over last season's league champions, but it does deserve a mention.

Not least because yesterday morning we had some bad news. Although I had convinced myself that the recession was over and that everything was on its way back to normal (ostrich-head-sand?) it is still claiming its victims. My dad lost his job, which is never good news, but hearing the news while surrounded by piles of Christmas presents was surreal. Still, it's not all bad - my mum is quite ill so it may be that this is a good thing. It will be nice to know there's always someone with her, keeping an eye out. It will be tough, of course, but we're all being very stiff upper lip about it - no wailing, weeping or gnashings of teeth in here, just some crossed fingers and furrowed brows.

That's why yesterday's STUNNING victory was extra special - it's not often Fulham can be relied upon to offer a completely relaxed experience to their spectators, but yesterday it ran like a dream! It was just what the doctor ordered in a way - a distraction, an entertainment. I followed the game with a copious amount of alcohol at a friend's flat. I would fascinate you with amusing anecdotes, extracts from our witty conversations or moments of note, but so much was consumed that I don't remember a thing. All I have to show for it is a killer hangover, about 40 photos of myself taken in front of the bathroom mirror and a missing watch. I fear my watch may have fallen off on the journey home - a victim of my graceless clamber over the fence separating the lanes of the A127.

And that just about brings me up-to-date. Best get to bed as it's my last day at work tomorrow (until 2010!), so I want to avoid my usual 8 o'clock sprint to the station and get in early...HA.

Take it easy,

tbr

No comments:

Post a Comment